Tuesday 23 December 2014

Going the extra mile …


 
the hearts `the minds of my comrades

In one of our previous post, I talked about this past ‘incredible’ year and the fun people we met along the way. I must admit that I feel very lucky to be still sailing along the hearts, the minds of my comrades.  Meet some delightful people that have gone the extra mile for us ….
BoPhy the guardian...  In my books the most important person at work is BoPhy, a fun loving lady who without fail comes to everyone’s rescue including mine!   She’s the guardian of the education complex and looks after everyone’s interest –she’s the nuts and bolts that hold the key to our requests.    That is to say that she holds the keys to the large gate (when someone like me eagerly comes to work on one of the countless statutory holiday); She holds the keys to the rooms we need for meetings, workshops, conferences …. And more.    With a twist and a turn voilà the key is ours for the week.   She is the person that will ensure that the halls and rooms are cleaned, properly set up for the events with food and water provided.  Added to the multitude of jobs she is accounted for, BoPhy takes care of the grounds, the water supply and the maintenance of the several water-harvests throughout the complex.  During the wet season, she regularly checks that the water pipes are in good repair and functional to fill the large urn with water.  In the dry season the urns are properly sealed and sparingly used to guaranty us all with water supply throughout the dry season.   And, she does it all with a smile often saying  ‘Ote paniaha’ No problem 
Novuth, my colleague…   There are six of us who share the office with Novuth and I’m the only one who speaks English. (It was  Novuth’s idea to place an English speaking person with Bunong/Khmer colleagues under the same roof in hopes that we’d communicate in Khmer/English.   Slowly, but surely it’s working!).  Novuth has a wealth of knowledge and everyone goes to him for advice, even yours truly.  This individual inspires me to no end. He laughs a lot and is always positive about everything.  Through my translator, we talk about everything and anything.  family, work,  government regulations and so forth.   When I’ve had some uncertainties about a situation at work I know that I can count on him for his advice.  He is always here for me.   He happily attends all my workshops, my meetings and will ‘bat’ for me in any way he can.  Recently, for one of my workshops Novuth translated a poster from English to Khmer in his beautiful Khmer handwriting.  Novuth is a hard working individual and you can be certain that he will go the extra mile for you... 
Sokhun/Savy, our landlord/ landlady…   When we were first looking for a place to live, everyone hesitated to tell us about the house in the lower dam.  We were forewarned that the owners were ‘money hungry ‘ and that they didn’t care much about their tenants.   And to make matters worse we were told that previous VSO volunteers broke their contract for one reason or another and left without notice.    Because of the unsettling experience everyone was feeling from both sides, the owners were just as hesitant to rent their house to anyone again in particular to the VSO gang.   After some convincing that we (Kevin and I) were reliable tenants, Sokhun/Savy were sold and rented the upper level of the house to us.   However, through lost in translation, we have indeed had our moment with them (they wanted more rent and in turn we contemplated moving out).  Still, in spite of the one bad experience we decided to stay put in order to pave the way for other volunteers.   Besides, Kevin and I like living here alongside our owners and, being part of the little community down below.   Our so-called ‘camping grounds’ is more like a palace to us compared to those who live in simpler ‘humble’ accommodation in the villages where I work.   Over the year we have earned Sokhun//Savy’s trust.   At noon, Sokhun  has his friends over for a meal that will last the whole afternoon and he often invites us to join them for his wife’s delicious cooking.  Savy the big boss of the household (who will orchestrate the ins and outs of the household) has even woken her husband up one early morning to drive us to the bus station.  And, Sokhun will gladly do so.    They will bring food up to our apartment, they will tell us where they're going (if they're leaving town) and will even drive us to and from the bus station.
Kevin my friend, my life line…   As you know by now Kevin is my husband and in VSO/Cuso terms he is known as my accompanied partner.    Whilst I’m at work, he plays many functions.  After breakfast, Kevin will walk with me partway to work before he turns off to the market to buy produce for lunch and dinner.  He makes the most delicious meals that I always look forward to especially on my return from the villages. (See below Kevin’s pumpkin soup recipe).  Added to this, the house is always spick and span, the floors washed, clean laundry is put away and more.  When Kevin isn’t a ‘wife’ at home, he accompanies me to the villages, assists with workshops, activities ... you name it he does it.   And, in his spare time he teaches English.    Kevin’s a very good listener and in a sense is a ‘punch bag’.  We have our usual arguments about everything and anything…  as friends that’s what it’s all about and it clears the air too.  We talk a lot about work, about the challenges and frustrations that I deal with on a daily basis.  However, Kevin has a knack at making things better.   It's nice to come home to someone that understands me inside out.  I really don’t know how I would have managed without him.   I’m so lucky to have Kevin here with me.  He ’s my friend, my lifeline and everything that you can possibly imagine.  He is definitely a Keeper! 

Kevin’s Pumpkin soup anyone?

Sauté 5 minutes
-        a whole onion
-        head of garlic
-        tablespoon of cumin seeds
-        1/2 red chilli pepper
Add
-        chopped pumkin
-        water (just enough to cover the pumpkin)
-        chicken stock
Boil 'til tender 
Blend/puree
-        pumpkin
Add
-        water to bring to the right consistency
Garnish with
-        basil
On that note,  We wish all you Good Health, Happiness, and a Prosperous New Year 2015   Alice/Kevin
More later …

No comments:

Post a Comment