Thursday 13 July 2017

Education Today VSOCambodia - UK Article

Bunong lady harvesting cassava
Placement in Cambodia 2013-2016 
written by VSO-UK/education roles  - Claire Gilderson
May 2017





Riding through/ on traitorous roads on the way to village schools, Mondolkiri province






'The road to prosperity' changing lives through education ...

In May 2017, ALICE CHANDLER will be flying off to Myanmar to volunteer. This is her second placement with Cuso International. She recalls her first adventure in Cambodia following a long teaching career in Canada.

Bunong villagers (harvesting cassava,) resting from a hard day's work
“I decided that it was time for me to embark on  an exciting journey,  so I leapt half way across the world to volunteer for two years with VSO – Cuso in Cambodia.  I wanted to go to a developing country where I could be part of the community and work for the well being of others.
In 2013, I was placed as a Primary Education Adviser at the Provincial Office of Education in the beautiful hills of Mondulkiri the poorest rural province in Cambodia. I worked with teachers, school directors and various staff to help improve the quality and access to basic education.  I fell  in love with  this amazing place and I was fortunate to get my placement extended until 2016.
Workshop at Sen Monorom POE with School directors and cluster-chiefs
In the west,  teachers are trained by professionals, but in rural Moodulkiri,  teachers receive minimal training.  They’re poorly paid and sometimes don’t even turn up for work. They often have two or more jobs or work in the fields to make ends meet. Pupils in isolated Bunong rural villages have difficulty in seeing the value of education.  Attendance is low because children are expected to help with household chores and work in the fields.  School infrastructure and sanitary conditions are poor.  Buildings are exposed to the elements and become problematic during the rainy season.
Teachers trained to use this book with their students
Despite the challenges, I was inspired by local teachers who implemented workshops for rural schools.  I watched them blossom before my eyes and saw smiling children explore endless possibilities through their schoolwork.  Laughter became contagious and learning became easier. Humour is an important part of facilitating positive change.
Teacher using newly-learned-tools in village school from a 5 day workshop
Teacher Trainers having fun during a workshop session
Every year, local comnunities conduct a School Enrolment Campaign in the villages 15 days before the start of the new school year.  In 2015, local men and women in Mondulkiri province were asked to share their personal stories about how their education has positively impacted their lives. These stories were broadcast on local radio to encourage children to go to school and stay in school. My local colleagues and I worked on a collection of interviews and short stories about the value of education, social inclusion and gender equality. It  eventually became a book:· 'The road to prosperity - my education, my life'.   In January 2016, this book was approved by the Mondulkiri Provincial Office of Education and was funded by VSO Cambodia.  School directors and teachers are trained to use this book  with their students to  promote school enrolment throughout the province.
Locals paying homage and delivering food donation to Monks for P'ChumBen festival
POE official whom I collaborated with daily
It was wonderful to feel part of a community where neighbours have the time for each other. I truly enjoyed working and living among local people who were full of energy and hope despite their circumstances.
Kevin and I at the San Monorom round about
Volunteering with VSO - Cuso International gave me a sense of accomplishment and an opportunity to learn from teachers who do the best they  can with limited resources. 

 I enjoyed my experience so much that  after 12 months of return home in Canada, I’ve decided to volunteer again with my accompanied partner, Kevin in Myanmar for a year with Cuso International!”

No comments:

Post a Comment