Tuesday 24 January 2017

Alumni Lasting Change - Cuso International

... Check out our Alumni of the Month! Alice Chandler who was in Cambodia with: 

Cuso International  
#AlumniLastingChange

Facebook (pinned to top, under events)
Twitter   -  
Tweets
Instagram
Cuso International website (scroll down, you’ll see a section called “Alumni of the Month”)

"My name is Alice Chandler and my husband Kevin and I have recently returned from living and working in Cambodia's charming chaos - the beautiful hills of Mondolkiri; to our home, in Canada’s new and refreshing rhythm of life where time appears to be calmer.  
Kevin and I in India
40 years ago, Kevin and I met traveling in India; and together we continued our travels in other parts of SE Asia.  At that time I remember feeling that I wanted to do more than just travel, to do more than observe.  I wanted to be a volunteer in a developing country where I could be part of the community,
know the people and work with the people ... As a Primary Education Adviser between 2013 – 2016 with Cuso International, I did just that. I was assigned to help strengthen the education system in Cambodia; to share skills, new initiatives with teachers and school directors and to help improve and increase access to education for a better tomorrow ... My husband Kevin, taught ESL to locals.

As a long-term volunteer in Cambodia I became part of the local life: I got involved for the well being of others to enhance their lifestyle today and tomorrow.

I was challenged and inspired by the successes of teachers, school directors, cluster chiefs and Provincial Office of Education staff who together designed and implemented practical and inclusive workshops for rural schools. As I watched Khmer/Bunong teachers grow and blossom before our eyes, smiling children explore endless possibilities through play and schoolwork and clap and squeal with delight when a classmate gave an answer it put a smile on my face.  In a nutshell, laughter and more laughter became contagious among the people and learning became desirable and easier to grasp.  What’s more, I found that love, trust,  awareness, patience, determination, humour and understanding are necessary for positive change.
Alice Chandler: Cambodia 2013-2015
Top left: Srae Y Village School; Below: working in Partners;                                                                                              
Top right: Kevin & I in Rattanakiri; Below: Workshop with Teachers and School Directors
It was wonderful to connect with the hearts and minds of the local people who were full of energy and hope. We really felt we were a part of the community in an age where neighbours in other parts of the world have little time for each other.
Having fun of course!  Where the word  ‘dull’ moments didn’t exist in our vocabulary, as I reflect on these almost 3 incredible years.      

Volunteering overseas gave me a sense of accomplishment from assisting, sharing and also learning from teachers, school directors who do the best they can with limited resources, and, the Indigenous remote villagers that I worked with.”
For more about Alice and Kevin’s time in Cambodia check out their blog: http://aliceandkevin.blogspot.ca/

Wishing all you a wonderful February, happiness and lots of laughter …

More later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment