Friday 27 November 2015

Long Theary's story

Co owner of Pizza restaurant    

Hi, My name is Long Theary, I’m 20 years old and I was born in the beautiful hills of Mondulkiri Province, in Kandal Village which is situated in the heart of Spean Mean Chey commune.   My ethnicity is Khmer and I completed my schooling at grade 9.  I am married and we are expecting our first baby in December.   With my husband, I am co-owner of the pizza restaurant, The Mondulkiri Pizza in Sen Monorom Town.   Blessed by our late parents, my two older brothers and I inherited the house and the land in which we grew up.   Consequently, later in life when I met my husband, this land gave us a window of opportunity to open up our very own Pizza business.  

Co-owner of the Mondulkiri Pizza restaurant
I have many benefits from our business:  I have my own business with my husband. With my business, I have become more confident in dealing with the people, and especially with tourists; I feel that because I learned English at school, I can talk to tourists and take their order.  

Furthermore, running my own business means I use a lot of math; I have to calculate how much money we have earned each day. I also understand  how to wok the books (book keeping) so that we know how much we have earned in a year.

My work has also helped me gain knowledge with the people I work  with on a daily basis. I am grateful for my teachers who helped me to be a good person in society by teaching me the difference between what is good and what is bad. I also know how to take care of myself and not to allow anyone to take advantage of my kindness. Even though I only studied up until grade 9, I am proud to say that I can independently support myself and for that, I am very thankful to my teachers.

Education has also helped me to have a better, broader understanding of the outside world.  More importantly, with education and the salary that I make, I  can personally support my family, myself and our new baby that will be arriving soon.

Some parents do not pay much attention about sending their children to school;  they think that they don’t have enough money to support their education.  I feel that this is wrong, because education is very important for young people.  My message is simple: Every parent should send their children to school.  One thing is for sure,  I will send my child to school as soon as s/he will become of school age. 

Since this interview took place, Long Theary  has given birth to a beautiful daughter. 

More later  ... :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment