Friday 11 December 2015

Let Savy's story

English Teacher and VSO volunteer  
Hello!   My name is Let Savy and I am a 30-year-old Khmer man. I was born into a small Khmer rice farmer’s family in Rand Sey village, Srae Sangkom commune; an agricultural centre known as the rice and cassava production region that services the community of Koh Nhek district in Mondulkiri Province.  After I graduated from grade 12 at the Hun Sen Sen Monorom High school, I studied English at the Asia Euro University, Phnom Penh.   I now live in Chom Katae village, Spean Mean Chey commune, Sen Monorom Town, where I work as an English teacher and as a Volunteer Assistant for VSO.
Savy's story
Thanks to my teachers and my education, they have helped me to escape from poverty.   I originally came from a poor rice farmer’s family and as a boy, I worked in the rice field, helping my family to plant and to harvest rice; it was hard work and I remember thinking that I did not want to be a farmer like my family.  So when I was at school, I listened carefully to the personal stories of my own teachers who were my role models to escape from poverty.  Because of my teachers’ support, I now have a degree, which has helped me to get a job working with the Ministry of Education and with an NGO - VSO.   
My education has meant that I can read, write, speak and listen, as well as write reports, in both English and Khmer.  Education has also given me respect in my homeland, because I can now earn money by using my own knowledge and my skills to support myself as well as my own family.   I can also educate local people to improve their capabilities so that they have the  correct tools to help them  to support their own lives.
My personal message for all parents is to send their children to enroll in school. I think that school is the best place to educate children to help increase their knowledge. The younger children enroll in school, the more opportunities they will have to learn. I think that the more knowledge children have the more they are able to support themselves, their family and Cambodia. Through having an education they can have the ability to develop their environment (locality- where they live), help their community and their own nation through training, teaching students or the people that they live with. 
More later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment