Tuesday 8 December 2015

Heng Voleak's story

Nurse 

“Greetings!   My name is Heng Voleak and I am a 20-year-old nurse.  I was born in a Khmer family and grew up at Prek Knea Village, in Prey Veng Province.   After completing grade 12, I studied nursing in Thailand.  Now, I live in the nursing quarters of Sen Monorom Hospital in Mondulkiri Province.
Heng Voleak is a nurse at Sen Monorom Hospital
My schooling was very important in helping me to get a job.  It taught me to understand the connection between psychology and the body. As a new nursing graduate, I have the right medical skills to help patients with their needs; I can empathize with them, I can tell what exactly my patients need help with and how best to go about it. Of course I still have a lot to learn from the doctors, the lead nurse manager and my colleagues.  But, without my education I would not have had the opportunity to work in the hospital.

In my personal life, my education has helped me to take part in society, and it has motivated me to become a strong person: it has helped me to deal with problems that I never thought I could solve on my own. With my own needs met, I can help fulfill my patients’ needs and wants with the creative ideas I gained from my education.  Most importantly, I can support myself, help my family, and contribute to the Kingdom of Cambodia.

I want to say to children and their parents that education is of the utmost importance. Parents play a valuable role in their children’s education – by the time children are old enough to go to school, they can already speak and express themselves. For me and everyone else, our parents were our first teachers – that was the first step of education.   

The second step closer to a better life is for you to know that it is important that all children in Cambodia should go to school. Young children are like sponges – they learn everything that is taught to them.  Even if a child is in a difficult situation (for example, from a marginalized group), they should get the opportunity of an education. Without an education, one cannot work or move to other sectors like the economy, health or tourism.

Everything begins with education. Children began their education with you.  Now it’s time to send them to school – Education is free.  When you parents send your children to school, you are preparing them for a better future.  All children need an education.”   Thank you.

More later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment